Hartpury is a rural parish of 3,500 acres with a population of about 700. It is situated about five miles north of the city of Gloucester, and lies within the Leadon Vale.
The church is open in daylight hours.
Hartpury & Perry
The village name ‘Hartpury’ is derived from the Saxon word for the pear: Hardepirige – a hard pear tree that is one with hard fruit like the wilding or perry pear. There is a perry pear known as the Hartpury Green recorded as early as 1662.
The Trust owns the national perry pear collection at Hartpury Orchard Centre, where perry is once again being made.
Church and Old Chapel Hall
Clustered around Hartpury church is a fine group of ancient buildings lovingly maintained over the centuries by the parishioners. Many of these need the careful attention of experts and volunteers, to continue to keep them in good order.
Tithe Barn and Watermill