Now a ring of 6, the oldest bell today is the 4th (10cwt 0qr 14lb) by Henry Jefferies, who was a mid-16th century Bristol founder. In 1544 the Church received a bequest from William Webb ‘To mayntance and reparacyon of the bellys 12d.’ This presumably means there were at least two pre-reformation bells. Two bells are dated 1626, the 3rd (6cwt 3qr 3lb) and the 5th (12cwt), and the tenor is dated 1628 (14cwt 1qr 6lb). John Pennington, an itinerant founder, known to have cast the 11th at Gloucester Cathedral in 1626, cast them.
The bells were rehung about 1850, by Isaac Gose of Newent who left space for a treble to make up a ring of six.
In 1901 an appeal for the sixth bell announced that the tenor was: ‘A really grand bell for her weight, undoubtedly a recast of an older bell (without any additional metal to make up for waste) as she is two or three cwt lighter than she ought to be in proportion to the other bells, but notwithstanding this she is one of the very best bells in the country, and the whole of the ring if made up to eight bells would be equal, if not superior, to the grand ring at the Cathedral, the musical note being the same (E flat)’.
The appeal continued: ‘Last and least comes the treble, quite a youngster among her big sisters, but she is equal to them in tone, which is not to be wondered at as the A.R. on her denotes that she came from the celebrated foundry of Rudhalls at Gloucester. She is very lonely with an empty cradle by her side. When may we expect to see a little stranger to swing in it? ’ It was not until 1926 that the ring was augmented to six by the addition of a treble, (5cwt.1qr.4lb) cast by Gillett and Johnston of Croydon, who at the same time recast the original 2nd bell by Abraham Rudhall I in 1715.
The ring now is:
|4||G||10cwt.0qr.14lb||mid 16th century|