Milestones on A40 – B4215
The stones on this route probably date from 1749. It was in that year that the trustees ordered them to be laid from the Smith’s shop at Over to Newent. Only two with any readable markings have been found . These have Roman numbers – with the 4 miles mark being written as IIII which agrees with the early date. This is similar to many of the other early routes in the country. All the others except one are missing, but this road has been considerably re-aligned over the years, (beginning in 1726!), so they could well be there but on private tracks and lanes.
The turnpike date for this route is 1726.
|OS / Location||Dimensions||Image||Notes / Comments|
Once painted ‘yellow’ below line
Barbers Bridge (old road)
No visible markings
|c. SO757247||Not found|
|c. SO738254||Not found|